2018 Membership Survey Report
IACLE members set the agenda for the future of contact lens education
More than nine in 10 members (92%) of the International Association of Contact Lens Educators (IACLE) are extremely or very likely to recommend other contact lens educators to join, and providing the resources needed to teach contact lenses is seen as the number one benefit of membership.
That’s according to the findings of the 2018 IACLE Membership Survey, released this month.
Tools for assessing students’ practical skills, raising awareness of contact lenses and how to use technology in teaching are top of educators’ wish list for IACLE to provide in future.
The results will be discussed by IACLE’s Executive Board during a special Strategic Planning Meetingat the Academy 2018 meeting in San Antonio, Texas, USA on 6 November.
A total of 300 contact lens educators in 48 countries took part in the survey in March 2018, representing a response rate of 36%. The highest number of responses was from the Asia Pacific region (62%), followed by Europe/Africa – Middle East (22%) and Americas (16%).
Among the key findings are:
- The New IACLE Contact Lens Course is the most used of IACLE Resources, rated highest for satisfaction and most important.
- Standard student assessment forms for practical examinations / clinics are the most popular future IACLE Resources.
- Fellowship scheme (FIACLE), Distance Learning Program and Student Trial Exam are the most important IACLE Programs.
- Among potential future IACLE Programs, a contact lens awareness campaign / event is the most popular option.
- Educator Meetings are the IACLE Events most likely to have been attended and World Congresses are considered most important.
- How to use technology in teaching is the most popular topic for future IACLE events and members want more Educator Meetings.
- Collaboration with contact lens educators in other institutions / countries is the type of IACLE Support members would most like to see in future.
Commenting on the survey results, IACLE President Dr Shehzad Naroo said: ‘This is our largest and most comprehensive membership survey in recent times. The findings confirm the impact IACLE has on its members and the value they place on the support we provide. The survey also reveals the direction we should be heading to equip the contact lens educators – and practitioners – of the future.’
Further analysis will determine differences in use of and attitudes to IACLE activities in different regions and countries, in order to respond to specific needs around the world.
For media enquiries please contact:
Communications | International Association of Contact Lens Educators
International Association of Contact Lens Educators
London | United Kingdom
Work: + 44 208 390 9378 | Mobile: + 44 7732 121 959
Skype: alisonewbank1 | Web: www.iacle.org
NOTES FOR EDITORS
1. Click here for the full Membership Survey report.
2. Information on all IACLE activities and membership benefits is available at www.iacle.org.
3. Find out more about the New IACLE Contact Lens Course (New ICLC) here.
4. Dr Shehzad Naroo is Reader at Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
The International Association of Contact Lens Educators was established in 1979 and is a non-profit, non-political association. IACLE currently has 804 (as of October 2018) active members in 77 countries and welcomes contact lens educators from all eye care professions and related disciplines. IACLE is dedicated to raising the standard of contact lens education and promoting the safe use of contact lenses worldwide. It is the leading provider of educational and information resources essential to contact lens educators. IACLE is supported by leading global contact lens manufacturers: Platinum Sponsor Alcon, Gold Sponsor CooperVision, Silver Sponsor Johnson & Johnson Vision, Bronze Sponsor Bausch + Lomb and Donor Sponsor Euclid.