2021 IACLE Activity Report
IACLE reports successful year as membership grows
More contact lens educators are enjoying the valuable benefits of belonging to the International Association of Contact Lens Educators (IACLE). Membership grew by 19% in 2021 as IACLE gained 134 members.
At the end of the year, the association had a total of 871 active members from 80 countries, with the largest representation in China (268), India (135), the United Kingdom (41), Mexico (39), and South Korea (32). Over a third of members (35%) were Fellows of IACLE (FIACLEs).
Key achievements for IACLE in 2021 included:
- Annual increase in membership of 19% as of 31 December
- Following the Fellowship Exam, 58 members became eligible to apply for FIACLE status
- Several member resources were introduced, including the Student Area, Regional Hubs and the IACLE Library
- 1,134 students at 27 institutions registered for the Student Area
- 1,001 students across five countries completed the Student Trial Exam
- The Teach. Learn. Connect. Initiative was redefined and implemented indefinitely
- Total attendance of 6,852 at IACLE’s webinars
- The membership voted for six candidates to fill Director positions
- Three new Regional Directors were appointed
- Welcomed Ophtecs as a new sponsor
IACLE President Professor Philip Morgan commented: ‘I am pleased to report that 2021 was a great year for IACLE. With the hard work of our staff and support from our sponsors, we have continued to expand our online resources and we have once again reached thousands of members via our webinars, all while welcoming a new team of Directors. The next 12 months will see a return to face-to-face meetings and the Fourth IACLE World Congress of Contact Lens Education, so exciting and busy times ahead!’