IACLE 2017 Activity Summary
IACLE reaches out across the world with a busy year of activities
Members of the International Association of Contact Lens Educators reached nearly 20,000 students in 560 academic institutions worldwide in 2017.
During the year, IACLE added new resources, programs and events to improve the quality of contact lens teaching and increase the number of skilled contact lens practitioners throughout the world.
IACLE has today released its Activity Summary 2017 Jan-Dec showing that:
- Since 1990, IACLE has provided resources and training to more than 2,200 members – contact lens educators from 91 countries around the world.
- At the close of 2017, IACLE had 782 active members in 71 countries (Dec 2016: 731).
- Nearly half (47%) were from its Global Priority Countries: China, India, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia.
- IACLE members reached an estimated 19,600 students in 560 institutions in 2017.
- A total of 154 candidates sat the 2017 Fellowship Exam and 84 were successful. As of February 2018, there were 328 active FIACLEs (Fellows of IACLE) worldwide.
Major events and initiatives in 2017 included:
- IACLE Congress on Contact Lens Education, held in Hyderabad, India in September.
- Research Update, a new monthly resource introduced in January 2017.
- IACLE in the World, a weekly radio broadcast via Franja Visual Radio in Latin America.
In 2017, Platinum Sponsor Alcon, Silver Sponsors CooperVision and Johnson & Johnson Vision, and Donor Sponsor Euclid Systems together helped support IACLE’s high-quality contact lens programs worldwide. In the last quarter of 2017 Bausch + Lomb renewed its support for IACLE by becoming a sponsor at the Bronze level.
More than 100 delegates from 20 countries joined the IACLE Congress on Contact Lens Education in Hyderabad, India in September 2017
Hosted by IACLE Americas Regional Coordinator Guillermo Carrillo, IACLE in the World is a new weekly broadcast via Franja Visual Radio, a web-based program with an audience of more than 100 eye care practitioners in Latin America
For media enquiries please contact:
Public Relations | International Association of Contact Lens Educators
International Association of Contact Lens Educators
London | United Kingdom
Work: + 44 208 390 9378 | Mobile: + 44 7732 121 959
Skype: alisonewbank1 | Web: www.iacle.org
NOTES FOR EDITORS
1. Click here for the IACLE Activity Summary 2017 Jan-Dec.
2. Information on all IACLE activities and membership benefits is available at www.iacle.org.
The International Association of Contact Lens Educators was established in 1979 and is a non-profit, non-political association. IACLE currently has 839 (as of June 2018) active members in 76 countries and welcomes contact lens educators from all eye care professions and related disciplines. IACLE is dedicated to raising the standard of contact lens education and promoting the safe use of contact lenses worldwide. It is the leading provider of educational and information resources essential to contact lens educators. IACLE is supported by leading global contact lens manufacturers: Platinum Sponsor Alcon, Gold Sponsor CooperVision, Silver Sponsor Johnson & Johnson Vision, Bronze Sponsor Bausch + Lomb and Donor Sponsor Euclid.