Success in challenging Times
IACLE reports successful year in response to global impact of
Contact lens educators worldwide are benefitting from IACLE’s move to a more virtual presence to support members throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. This strategic shift in IACLE activity responded to the increase in online education worldwide from the start of the pandemic in the early stages of 2020.
At the end of 2020, the association’s membership consisted of 731 active members from 74 countries, with the highest numbers in China (241), India (108), United Kingdom (37), Mexico (30), Colombia (28), and South Korea (27).
Key achievements for IACLE in 2020 included:
- Provided a selection of IACLE resources, including the Case Report Series, to the public to support remote learning – in March 2020
- Released the ICLC2020, IACLE’s flagship resource, in April 2020. The previous version – ICLC2015 – was fully revised and updated by leading contact lens experts
- Launched IACLETOP – an online Learning Management System hosting a wide range of valuable member resources and programs – in May 2020
- Introduced the Teach. Learn. Connect. (TLC) Initiative to support members, students, and industry through the pandemic – in June 2020
- First-ever Virtual Conference themed ‘Back to contact lenses’ – in September 2020
- Total attendance of 10,200 at online webinars in multiple languages
- 1,147 students from 28 institutions completed the Student Trial Exam virtually
- 300 active FIACLEs worldwide represented 41% of IACLE’s membership
Immediate Past President Dr Shehzad Naroo commented: ‘What a year 2020 was! In the contact lens field, the effects from the COVID-19 pandemic were felt at every level. From education and training to clinical practice and sales. IACLE rose to the challenges, and we were quick to react and support the contact lens industry. We redesigned our training programmes so that our members were not isolated from updates and continuing their professional development. We supported the students of our members and non-members by opening the use of crucial resources to the public. Our Virtual Conferences and webinar series have been a roaring success that enabled us to connect further with members, students, and practitioners. Overall, IACLE emerged strongly from 2020, and we are ready for the next challenge. On behalf of IACLE, I express sincere gratitude for our sponsors’ continued support, especially during these tough times.’